Blogging at The Fountain

Learning to be real...

Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Stephen Riley - I'm hoping to have more fun in my 40's than I did in my 30's. I need help remembering the constant love of Father God. When I get too busy, I forget. Vivian Cox- I am learning how much the Lord loves me and hoping to share this incredible, grace filled love with others. If you have any questions or comments for me personally please feel free to shoot me an email at vivianbcox@yahoo.com

Friday, April 06, 2007

If God is so good......


"If God is real, if God is so good, why is there so much evil in the world?" This age-old question seems to follow those who love God around. How do we answer this question?

I know that God is good because of my experience with him. Yes, of course, the many blessings he has so lavishly given me-my husband, my 4 phenomenal children, my extended family, my friends, even my possessions shows his goodness. But what about those rough times-the tension at work, the financial strain, broken friendships, death, sickness-is He really in that as well? Have I experienced His goodness in those too? Of course these things seem small compared to the poverty, sickness, starvation and wars in the world. So how can God be good with all of that going on right in front of him?

I recently attended a conference where a speaker pointed out that it's because of God's love and goodness that things aren't magnificently worse! What if we each acted upon everything that might be in our hearts and our minds? Can you imagine what the world would be like then?

It's often because people DO act upon what is in their hearts and minds that there is poverty, disease and war. Corruption often stops the flow of food and medicine to those that need it most. But that's not God's fault. He allows us to choose--or not-- his goodness. "Choose life....", He says.

But even when life for me is hard, when I'm tempted to ask that age-old question, I remember how he has brought me through each challenge--and has taught me something I needed to learn that I could not have learned unless I experienced it myself--often empathy for others. A "classroom lecture" would not have done the trick.

So yes, God is good. Even when we are surrounded by "all the bad things in the world", we can rest assured that there is no evil in Him.

-Delisa

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessi said...

Encouraging reminder...and a beautiful shot from Sandy Cove!

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home